About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Standard

As I recreate my music collection, trying to get it entirely in MP3 format, I'm wondering why we're still using MP3 format. I mean, back when I started in '98 or so, I remember seeing articles about future file formats which would have music files in higher quality formats in smaller files. I have no doubt that these things exist, but they certainly haven't replaced MP3.

Which got me to wondering, what could replace MP3? The sound quality is good enough. Hard drives got bigger and cheaper. And most of the competition is proprietary - .rm, . wma, whatever iTunes has. I can't imagine a file type doing it so much better than it can replace mp3 as the default for music files. After all, we still use Zip files.
- Unknown, 6:15 PM
Comments: Post a Comment