About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Egads. Responsibility.

Having become officially bored with living with my parents and doing nothing, and with a trip to San Francisco in the near future likely, I half-heartedly ventured onto Craigslist to look for housing. I say half-heartedly because, bored as I am here, I have nothing concrete to look forward to elsewhere. Yeah, maybe I'll get a fun job, or meet interesting people, but I don't know for certain, right? And being able to stay home and play video games and read all day sure beats having a boring, lonely job in the city, right?

Because I was specifically unmotivated, when I got to the Craigslist site, I decided to procrastinate by clicking on the jobs button instead of the housing button, for reasons that only make sense to my nonconscious (had I really wanted to procrastinate, there's always "Missed Connections"). Scrolling through the list of non-profit style jobs, I notice one that says "Research Assistant." Hey, I've done that before! I look at it. Hey, I'm actually reasonably technically qualified to do that. My co-ops can be stretched to be called a year of preferably out-of-classroom research experience. History is a social science or related field. And they also want someone detail-oriented. Which I have been called by prestigious members of Antioch's faculty (not that they would know what the term meant. Actually, I think it was Hassan R., who might...) "Good interpersonal skills"........ well, sure, why not. Plus, the work that the company does seems to be good, and it's in a neighborhood that I have been told I should move to.

So naturally, instead of getting excited, I get cold. I have a strange physiological response to getting nervous: I get cold. I don't really feel butterflies in my stomach, but I do shake uncontrollably. I mean, here it is. I'm probably not going to get a better offer. But applying for a real job? Not a four-month trial job? That's rough, man. What if I were to get it? Sweet Jesus, I'd have to go to work, like, every day.

And yet, it's pretty much as good as I'm going to get, barring a close friend of mine suddenly needing a roommate in a place I want to be.
- Unknown, 3:43 AM
Comments: Post a Comment