About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Sunday, March 07, 2004

In Order To Reaffirm My Geekiness After the Last Post

Antioch's internal phone system runs on four-digit numbers, and the first number is always 1. This leads to phone numbers that have historical dates. 1492, 1517, 1215, 1776, and so forth. Students' personal numbers are usually 1400-1550 or so. When people tell me their phone number, I, history geek that I am, I try to match it to a historical date. I can't do it most of the time, I don't have an incredibly date-intensive historical background, just a good memory. So I'll make up stuff. "1529? That's the year the Hapsburgs took over Austria!" "Really?!?" "No, I just made that up. Could have happened, though." I thought I was alone in playing this game, until I was talking with one of the history professors here, and told her my number, which she instantly tried to connect to Italian history. Course, I don't think she was just making it up. I think I'm the only one who does that.
- Unknown, 2:01 PM
Comments: Post a Comment