About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Monday, December 08, 2003

I like the back of the bus, cause it's elevated. I feel like a king!

Rosa Parks is suing Outkast for using her name as the title of a song.

I'm so confused. Torn. On one hand, silly lawsuit. Rosa Parks is a public figure. I don't know how she can say that her name can't be used.

On the other hand....uh, it's Rosa Parks.

On the third hand, damn, that's a good song.


There also may be more context here. There seems to be a generational divide in the black community. Hip-hop culture has a general irreverance and perhaps even disdain for the civil rights movement. Whereas older people look at hip-hop and see it throwing away the gains achieved by the previous generation at great cost. Example. I don't know for certain if this is in Rosa Parks' mind for this lawsuit, obviously, but it may take on symbolic significance even if she doesn't think about it that way.
- Unknown, 1:51 PM
Comments: Post a Comment