About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Tuesday, December 23, 2003

got a thing for the women that don't love themselves

I went out tonight and saw The Return of the King. I was going to say "finally saw" but why should I buy into the idea that I need to see the movie on the first night? Sheesh. It's been less than a week.

The scenes with Eowyn were, pretty much exclusively, the ones that grabbed my attention and emotions. Why do I like Eowyn so much? It took me a while to figure that one out. It was obviously not simple girl=pretty, because I don't find her terribly attractive. Not saying she's not, but that doesn't grab me. Maybe it was some sort of identification with feminism thing. Possibly. Then I saw the part where Theoden said he wanted to see her smile again. Got it! She's fucking depressed! No wonder she gets my attention - she's crazy!

As ever, it's the flawed, human characters that capture me. Boromir, Faramir, and Eowyn seem far more real to me, because they are desperate. The two brothers are stuck in their father's grasp. Eowyn, meanwhile, rides off to war with the men, why? Because she feels the need to prove herself to be as good as the men. Because she has a crush on Aragorn, who breaks her heart, and so she rides off because, well, why the hell not? Why give a damn.

Meanwhile, all the other characters are motivated by senses of duty. Bands of brotherhood. Pure love for their country, or their fellow man, or the need to fight evil. How dull.
- Unknown, 12:33 AM
Comments: Post a Comment