About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Legitimate science

INFP - "Questor". High capacity for caring. Calm and pleasant face to the world. High sense of honor derived from internal values. 1% of the total population.
Take Free Myers-Briggs Personality Test



I found a free Myers-Briggs!

This test amuses me for a few reasons. I've taken it several times at this point, but haven't been able to in several years, because the web switched over to pay-to-play. But no more! Anyway, when I was tiny Rowan, I was an INTJ. But through my teenaged years, I became a INFP. I suspected that might change based on my changes in recent years, but no. If anything, it's solidified. But that's not the interesting part.

The interesting part is how I take the test.

A test like this is based on perceptions of yourself. It's asking something like "do you prefer to work on an abstract level?" But you can only answer with how you see youself. I tend to think I prefer working with abstractions, but that might be wrong. I might actually prefer details. Or, to put it another way, for a long time, I thought I was better playing Black in chess. But I think my winning percentage was higher playing as White. But since the test can't be judged with any sort of objective win/loss ratio, it's still valid. It's just a measure of how you see yourself. But, as I mentioned, I've taken the test a number of times. And that just makes things worse. I've also seen some of the theories behind the test. So I know a few things. I know what most of the questions are judging: in the "abstract" example I gave, a yes gives you points for iNtuitive, a no gives you points for Sensing. And, I've taken the test enough to know and like my score. INFP is good. These guys call it the "Questor," but I've seen it as Paladin. And how cool is that? Also, it's something that less than 1% of the total population is, and how cool is that? If there's one thing Rowan likes, it's being unique. And this is unique.

So basically, it's a test that has right answers, and I know them. Imagine, though, if someone who knew me really well, took this test for me? Would I get the same results? If so, then it might be valid.

Still, I think it's a fun little test. One day, I want to make a CRPG, kinda like an old Ultima, where your character's class is determined by this test. INFP would be Paladin, ENFP would be Knight, and the other ones I don't know would be something else. The test would be done very subtly, though, based on your actions, instead of simple Yes/No questions. And it would be a good game, too. Someone give me money! And programmers!
- Unknown, 10:52 PM
Comments: Post a Comment