About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Friday, August 01, 2003

What I Did On My Fall Vacation

Ladies and gentlemen, I apologize from bringing politics back to my blog, but this is simply too entertaining. I'm sure most of you have heard about California's recall election. Apparently, the state's in debt, and some old law allows them to blame the governor and get rid of him if they want. So they're working on that, and will have an election in a few months to choose to recall Gray Davis, and if so, then elect someone new. Arny the Terminator is a leading potential candidate. Arianna Huffington, one-time Rebublican shill, is now the Great Progressive Hope.

But it gets better than that.

All it takes to get on the ballot is 65 signatures, and $3,500. My parents live in California, and I think there's probably some way, since I'm still technically a dependent, that I have California residence. I'm sure they know 65 people, and can get that petition done, easy. The $3,500 is a problem, though.

The election, if the recall succeeds, is winner-take-all. With it that easy to register, there's likely to be DOZENS of candidates. Someone could sneak into the office with 10-20% of the vote.

It gets still better! I need a job this fall. I can go anywhere. Do anything. Run for Governor of California? I'm sure the co-op office wouldn't fail to give me credit for that. I mean, how often does a student get the opportunity for the life experience of having their name on a major ballot?

I need a platform. I need a constituency. And I need fundraising. After that - I'm gold in the Golden State.

Rowan '03: There's No Good Reason For This!
Because it would be really, really cool to show off my name on that ballot!
No, You Can't Have Thong Underwear With My Name On It.
- Unknown, 12:11 PM
Comments: Post a Comment