About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Friday, August 08, 2003

Good times, mate. Good times

Allow me to share one of my favorite games with you. No, I'm not talking about X-COM: UFO Defense, though that was indeed a fine game. I'm talking about the Rowan-doesn't-get-pop-culture game.

It goes like this. People get attached to certain pop culture things. The best example is actors. Me, I know very little about movies. Lots of other people do. So they'll start talking about this actor or actress, and how marvelous they were in this, or how terrible it is that they got cast in terrible movie. And I nod, until they stop to take a breath, and then I say "Who's that?"

It doesn't have to be movies. It could be 80's cartoons, or random toys. I don't even have to be ignorant. I've done it so many times when I really don't know that I can do it pretty easily when I do know.

I've cultivated being able to do it for a while, but give it a shot. The looks you get make it worthwhile, as long as it's concievable that you really don't know who or what is being talked about.

But don't do it on me, because I know that most of what I like is fairly esoteric.
- Unknown, 4:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment