About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Oh, you want to tempt her with your dirty rock and roll

At this point, I would ask you to give me suggestions for names for my laptop. But I won't. Because I have arbitrarily decided.

My naming convention for computers was simple. Once, I was reinstalling Windows on my family's machine, and listening to Sgt. Pepper's. Lovely Rita Meter Maid came on. So I typed it in. A few years later, I got my own computer, so naturally, I gave myself the better female-named song from that album: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. This won't work for my new puter, though. First of all, I'm out of girls names songs from that album. I could pick another song from the Beatles, but I'm not so much of a fan anymore. Not that I don't still like them generally. Just not enough to name my computer after a song of theirs.

So where to go next? Why, my relatively new favorite band. That would be the best option. And since I just realized that it's about a year since I discovered Sleater-Kinney, I can call it a celebration!

Briefly scanning their discography, I noticed two songs with names. First was Lora's Song. Doesn't count, that was the drummer's name, and I'm naming it after songs, not people. Good song, though. The other is Prisstina. Which is. . . perfect.

At this point, I will suggest that if you do not know the song, then you should go download it.

Now.

It works for several reasons. It's one of my absolute favorite songs, for a start, as well as the first song that made me think "hmm, this band, they're onto something." More importantly, though, the subject of the song is near and dear to me. It's about a smart girl who stays inside too much, but realizes that maybe there's something more outside. Just need to . . . let go.

While the other girls fondled their dates
She fooled around with her Bunsen plate
But one night she was walking around
She passed a club with music so loud
She wondered what it would be like
To stay out with a co-ed all night

So, for a computer that should be used for my studies, and will probably keep me inside too much (not that it's got to fight hard for that), I think we have a winner.

Unless you guys do come up with something better.
- Unknown, 4:25 PM
Comments: Post a Comment