About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

And a Pony, too

You know what I want? I want roots. I'm not terribly close to my family. I see them once a year. I get along with them pretty well, just not pretty regularly. They're not who I turn to, really. I don't really have old friends. The only person from high school that I have any way of contacting is someone on my AIM list who is never online. College? That's where I am now, after all. But the wonders of the Antioch College co-op program* mean that all relationships are temporary. Well, all relationships are temporary anyway (thanks, Buddha), but Antioch has this self-imposed 4 month termination date. Plus I'm graduating next spring.

But before I graduate, I have four months here in Philly. Four months somewhere else. Four months back at Antioch, and then four months abroad. I have to do this, barring some sort of clever way around it, in order to get my degree. I kind of need that degree. Without it, I'm completely screwed in a job market (as opposed to mostly screwed, thanks to my BA in History and Philosophy). But this isn't about needs, really. It's about wants.

I want to be able to move into a place I'm not going to be leaving in the blink of an eye. I'm almost halfway done with my time in Philly, which strikes me as insane. I want to be able to make friends. I don't do that easily. I really, really, really don't want to have to do it four more times in the next year. I want to be able to have a relationship that doesn't have an automatic deadline, at least on physical touch.


*Antioch offers this wonderful program that, if all goes well, has students study then work (co-op) on alternating terms. The members of each class tend to be on the same sequence, so they can have friendships and relationships only a little more impeded than normal colleges with their summer breaks. Me? I'm a fuck-up. I transfered in. Lots of academic credits, no work credits. Basically, it meant that I had 4 study terms and 5 co-op terms. A little weird, but doable, right? Nope. I only figured this out after doing 3 of my first 4 terms studying. So 4 of my last 5 terms are working. I'm in the middle of the second of those now. This, by the way, is why my description says I'm a student who doesn't take classes. Because the entire year of 2003, I'm not scheduled to take a damn class.
- Unknown, 4:49 PM
Comments: Post a Comment