About me

one inanity at a time

Archives

Blog it, baby

Life in the Pink
Operated Boy
Bad News Hughes
Rollertrain

Smart People and Politics

Cursor
The Black Commentator
Counterpunch
Steve Gilliard's News Blog
Atrios
Tom Tomorrow
Whiskey Bar

Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Confession

Through most of my life, I feel like I'm faking the whole thing. Especially in terms of working. When I do a job, I usually feel like I'm not doing much of anything, but I do what I'm asked, and seem to do all right. Like when I was editing The Antioch Record, a newspaper. Then I would be judged on the paper when it came out. So even if I sat down and played video games through all the office hours, as long as the paper came out and had the right news, I was doing ok. Actually, from most of the reports I got, I did a fantastic job of making sure the right things got printed. Did it matter that I was working full time, but spent maybe 10 hours a week doing actual work? I guess not. Ironically, I got the most accomplished at that job while people noticed the little work I was doing, where at other jobs, I get less done and they don't mind the lack of work.

Which leads me to believe that maybe, I wasn't faking it. Maybe just getting what needs to be done done, and going through the motions the rest of the time, is all that anyone else does. This is a frightening proposition, because if I were doing something all the time, then my output would be tremendous. Good old ADD stops that, though. If everyone wasn't actually working, and if everyone suddenly started working . . . well . . . crikey.
- Unknown, 2:54 PM
Comments: Post a Comment